Habits are fundamental if you want to succeed in life. Your habits are the most crucial elements that influence the amount of money you have in your bank account and often, the size of your waistline. Your habits define the quality of your life you live.
Bad habits can appear impossible to stop while it can also be difficult to create new, positive habits. The truth is that if you depend on just your willpower, you will find it very difficult to break bad habits and to follow new positive habits; this is where most people give up. Willpower can force the changes you require but the problem comes in keep the changes.
There are common mistakes that tend to derail us even when we make up our minds to kick a bad habit. By simply avoiding the most common mistakes that cause new habits to fail, you’ll be able to effectively create new and lasting habits
5 most common mistakes that cause new habits to fail
Trying to Change too much, too soon
It’s best to introduce new habits in little steps. If you want to spend two hours each day writing your novel, start with a single sentence each day. One sentence accomplishes something exciting: it gets you in the habit of sitting down and writing when it’s time to write. That’s the most important first step.
- Start with small changes. Then increase the amount of time and effort when the habit of beginning is in place.
- Seek behavioral changes that are so easy, you can’t possibly fail.
2. Depending on willpower
If your habit depends on your willpower, you won’t be able to keep up. Ultimately, willpower should only be required to make a habit of getting started and not keeping it. Habits are automatic. Willpower isn’t required to eat a bar of chocolate or watch TV for most of us. If you have a habit of going to the gym, willpower isn’t required for that either.
- Willpower is a short-term solution.
- Seek behavioral changes that are so easy, you don’t need willpower to sustain a new habit.
3. Assuming a new habit to be easy to implement.
Change isn’t easy. You’ll become complacent and lazy if you expect a new habit to be easy to implement. We’d all be rich, in shape, and speak five languages if creating new habits were a simple matter.
4. Believing a new habit to be difficult to introduce.
As a matter of fact, new habits are not difficult to introduce into your life. Expecting the process to be remarkably difficult will indeed cause you to struggle in introducing new habits. The thought of doing anything that’s hard can be sufficient reason to never get started in the first place.
- New behaviors are easy to implement if you start slowly and have patience. It’s moving ahead slowly and having patience that are difficult.
5. Depending too much on information.
Our society is blessed, or cursed, with access to an excessive amount of information. This can create two challenges:
- It’s very easy to believe that you don’t know enough to take the first step. There’s always something out there that you don’t know. The need to know everything before getting started can leave you stuck. There’s no prize for knowing the most. There is great success in doing the most, though.
- The belief that knowledge alone is sufficient is just as harmful. You might know how to do push ups, but that doesn’t provide the same results as doing 100 of them each day.
- The special forces have a motto that 60% is enough to take action. If you know 60% of the relevant information, you know enough to move forward. You can figure out the other 40% along the way. Spend 90% of your time doing and 10% learning.
Tearing yourself from negative habits and adding new positive, encouraging habits is the best way you can overcome most of the challenges you that so often come your way. Sadly, most of us have wrong perception when it comes to change. Change is a means to growth and a small change at a time is quite easy to apply to your life and develop upon. Having said this, you will need to apply utmost patience and have faith that as you begin to implement small changes, it will work. Remember: your faith will help you in introducing the gradual changes and at the end all those small changes will eventually develop into huge results that people will begin to notice about you.
Keep away from these 5 most common mistakes when trying to implement new habits to your life and success will no longer seem so far reached. Introducing new habits can have a huge impact on your life as you aim for success in life.