Getting Ahead As A Single Mother
Whilst two parents raising a child can be a tough yet rewarding task, entering into the world of single parenthood also comes with its own set of challenges, to put it mildly. When you happen to find yourself in that position whereby you now have to take on the role of both mother and father, some adjustments are inevitable. As a single parent, you want to do what’s best for your child; nevertheless you want to continue to better yourself.
Getting ahead as a single mother is achievable by basically creating your own worth and value. If you’re reading this and your circumstances isn’t what you would like it to be, then think about how you can increase your value in order to move to a higher level in life.
Well, the truth is that you can do both! Yes, indeed you can join the long list of single mothers who are bettering themselves by taking online courses. I can not imagine anything better than learning a skill online – in the comfort of your home, without having to spend time commuting or in the classroom? Therefore, you can still be there for your child… your child will love the new improved YOU!!
If as a single mother, you are looking to get ahead, follow the action steps below to get started with your online classes and begin a new career path:
1. Choose a career.
Now that your situation has changed, you may need to change your career. Choose something that still allows you to spend time nurturing your child.
- When you’ve completed your studies and have secured a job, ensure your schedule allows for family time. If it doesn’t, you’ll have to be able to earn enough money to provide alternate care in your absence.
2. Watch do-it-yourself videos.
The internet is one of the best resources today. You can learn how to do almost anything by watching online videos. Unless it’s a skill that requires special certification, you can build your knowledge online.
- Do-it-yourself videos on sites like YouTube can help you earn while you learn or while you’re waiting on your certification.
- Let’s say you’re interested in becoming a computer technician. You can learn quite a bit from online videos. Then, you can start small and offer the services to your family, friends, and neighbors.
3. Enroll in an online degree program.
Many colleges now offer full undergraduate and graduate degree programs online. As an adult in your own right, most colleges and universities will accept your life experience as good enough qualification to enroll for an undergraduate course.
- You can stay in the comfort of your home as you get certified in a specific skill or earn a degree.
- You can fulfill the requirements of the course by listening to online lectures, blogging with classmates, working on group projects via video chat, submitting your work electronically, and communicating with your professor through email.
- Choose a program that allows you to have flexible hours. Once you set your school hours, you can designate other time to spend with your child.
- Try to find a program that offers scholarships or financial aid. There are some institutions that offer monetary assistance for those in specific situations.
4. Use your computer to find a job.
Once you’ve completed your coursework, you can start job hunting online. There are many career networking sites. LinkedIn.com is one of the most popular. Plus, corporations often list job openings on their websites. Many companies even conduct online interviews. And don’t forget “word of mouth!”; sometimes, it’s all about who you know!
- It has become common practice to submit an online application. You might have to think outside the box. Is there an opportunity out of state? Go ahead and apply. It might mean a new start for you and your kids.
- You can even mention in your application that you’re willing to work from home or a remote location. Some businesses are cutting down on overhead by outsourcing the work or hiring freelancers. And wouldn’t it be great to get to work from home and spend even more time with your children?
Being a single mother doesn’t necessarily mean life gets harder. It just means you have to make the most of your time. When you’re the only one financially supporting your family, it’s important to find a career that will let you do that and still allow you time for your family. Taking online courses is a great solution.
One of the advantages of taking online courses is that it allows you to go at your own pace and still dedicate time to being a good parent. Enroll in an online course or degree program today! Get ahead as a single mother and make the best of both worlds!!
Be social guys! Please do share the love – leave your comment and share this post. I love you all!! 😀
[Tweet “Are you a single mother looking to get ahead? Consider these action steps to get started with your online classes and begin a new career path”]