Negative experiences can easily derail your purposeful living if not handled appropriately. Negative experiences are facts of life that we all experience, it is therefore very crucial that you learn how to effectively handle negative experiences. Naturally, we have intuitions that more often cause us to get into trouble; sometimes we go overboard in our reactions to certain circumstances. We offend those around us with what comes out of our mouth that we really didn’t mean. Some find themselves feeling gloomy and lacking confidence. You cannot stop it, negative incidents will happen and the best ways to deal with them is to become better at managing them.
Dealing with negative experiences properly:
- Ask yourself, what is the lesson from the negative experience? Maybe the love of your life left you, or you lost a huge amount of money in an investment, there is always a lesson to be learned from such experiences. Write a list of the lessons you’ve learnt in your journal and reflect on how you can avoid a repeat performance.
- Write a list of the advantages of the negative experience. So, the love of your life left you, maybe now is the time to step out and enjoy your hobbies, register for that part-time course or make new friends that you would otherwise not think about. You’ll be amazed that even the worst experiences have some gains tied up in them.
- Success in life often springs from errors. Negative experience can be the key to your success. Our creator never promised us an easy life but promised to make a way out of unpleasant situations for us. If everything in life were easy, there would be no divorce, we would all be rich and happy and probably all slim and fit.
- Take little step back. When faced with an unpalatable situation, just take a little step back. Don’t talk, scream, jump out of the car or burn his worldly belongings! There is absolutely no rule whatsoever that states you must react immediately. The truth is that you may not even need to react at all, just take a couple of deep breaths and that may be enough to stop you making the situation any worse than it is.
- Understand that bad things do happen sometimes. You can’t always avoid it, situation cannot always be controlled by good intentions and preparation. There are a lot of things you just have no control over, people become sick or injured. Sometimes the weather plays up and trees drop on cars. You trip on a box in the office and spill water on your boss’s suit. It is part of life! Learn to move on from these unfortunate events as best as you can.
- What are your beliefs about the negative experience? A negative experience is not necessarily a bad situation but an unfortunate one that can be turned into good. Can you see it as an opportunity for something better to come into your life? Do you think it is a failure or a learning opportunity? Maybe it doesn’t even have any meaning at all.
- Falsify the experience! This I do a lot! Change the memory in your head and imagine something totally different. For example, say you can’t get over the memory of close friend that hurt you, change the memory. Imagine her wearing a clown costume, and her words are in those balloons you see in comic books. Her hair is orange, and she sounds like Daffy Duck. Now run through the conversation. It doesn’t feel the same!
- Distract yourself. Distraction can be a healthy medicine. Do something that will take you away from the situation, like going to watch a movie with a friend. Visit a family member, spend time on a hobby or take a short trip out-of-town. If you can’t repair the situation and you can’t forget it, find something else to do!
Negative experiences cannot be avoided forever, they are a part of everyday life. In more often than none, you can turn a negative experience into something more positive by simply focusing on the positive underneath the unfavorable situation. Your ability to jump out of difficult situations without losing it is paramount to your success and contentment. Make the most of the above tips the next time you’re face with such a challenge.
For access to my FREE 5 Day eCourse that can potentially help you Grow, Expand and Thrive, click the button below
[OptinLink id=1] [OptinLinkButton button_type=gradient link_type=optinlink color=#ffa142 border_radius=3 button_text=”Get Instant Access Now”] [/OptinLink]