Change is the one constant in the universe. Even the sun won’t last forever. But change can be stressful. In fact, various life events are classified by psychologists based on the severity of the stress felt by the individual. A death in the family and divorce are rated at the top.
But even the most stressful changes can provide benefits and new opportunities. The ability to deal with change can be a good measure for predicting success. Those that handle change poorly fight change and strive to protect the status quo. No change equals no progress.
Changes in employment, living arrangements and location, and relationships can be among the most stressful changes, but can also provide the greatest opportunities for positive life advancements.
While change is stressful, it delivers numerous benefits:
1. Without change, life would be boring. No matter how great your life might be, it can still become boring. Have you ever been on your dream vacation and found yourself excited about going home by the end of your time there?
* Having an evening or even a whole day by yourself can seem like heaven. But it doesn’t take too long for the charm to wear off. Several days or weeks of doing nothing except watching TV starts to get old.
* Change keeps things fresh. Imagine living the same day over and over again. What would be the point?
2. Change can bring improvements. Changes in diet can lead to enhancements of health and appearance. A relationship change can bring new levels of happiness. A change of careers can provide new opportunities and possible salary growth. If you feel stuck, change is the quickest way to enhance your life.
3. Change builds resilience. Numerous studies have shown that the stress of change, within limits, increases the ability of nearly any organism to thrive. Too much change can be too stressful. Too little change leads to a loss of vitality.
* Some degree of change is required to be at your best.
4. Change provides opportunities. When your circumstances and environment change, the opportunities available to you also change. Every change brings new possibilities. One of them might be perfect for you.
Change isn’t easy, but it’s a necessary part of life. Without any changes, the planet would become a pretty boring place!
Embrace changes and make the best of the situation:
1. Be flexible. Change brings new options. Consider all your options and be flexible in your approach. The ability to adapt is underrated. Use the opportunity to find a new perspective.
2. Look for the silver lining. Keep your mind open to your new possibilities. Staying too focused on the negative will make it harder to see the positive. Expect to find a new opportunity that will change your life for the better. Keep looking until you find it.
3. Learn. If you view the change negatively, what led to the change? How can you use this information to prevent a future occurrence?
4. Stay calm. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed in the face of change, but excessive stress makes the situation even worse. You’re not at your best when overstressed, so maintain positive self-talk.
Welcome change into your life. It provides new opportunities, builds stamina, and keeps life interesting. Without change, life would become dull and tedious. Embrace change and keep your eyes open for new ways to enhance your life. It’s natural to dread change, but change is the only constant in life. Those that deal with change effectively enjoy more success.