Accepting Criticism Without Being Upset
“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.” – Winston Churchill
The ability to accept criticism doesn’t come easily to some people. Such individuals struggle with the fact that someone could possibly have a negative notion about them. Although, most often criticism, especially when done insensitively can come across as something negative, however, as you can not change people and their ways your best bet is to learn how to accept criticism without being offended. Bear in mind that most of those who criticize just to be unkind are doing so to cover their own insecurities, they get a buzz out of trying to make others feel bad…don’t fall for it!
In spite of this, there are people who are sincere and only want the best for you. Those criticisms are the ones that you can you can benefit from by viewing them constructively. Learning to accept criticism can help you in improving performance in some aspect of your life and hence becoming a better person.
As you work on developing your strengths and skills, it is very crucial that you learn to take counsel. Positive feedback forces you to look inward and pay more attention to those issues that need correcting in your life. Criticism when viewed positively, will help you determine where you can grow and can even bring you benefits that make your life more fulfilling.
Below are very useful tips that can help you accept criticism as you primarily view it as positive feedback and then turn it into life-changing advice:
1. Take into account the motive. Once you’ve been criticized, take a moment to ponder over the sincerity and then conclude if the motive is sincere or not.
- How well does the critic know you? Have they always offered you unconditional support? If so, chances are their motive is genuine.
- On the other hand, the person may just be looking for a way to bash you. Keep your eye on those people and avoid letting your guard down. It’s always a good idea to be cautious when you’re unsure about someone’s motives.
2. Genuinely question yourself. Listen to the criticism and take a moment to digest it. Take emotion out of it and try to ignore the feeling of being offended else you’ll find yourself in unfruitful deep thoughts. Take what you’ve heard and see if it truly fits into what’s happening with you.
- It’s easy to be taken over by denial that is driven by fear of disappointment. But taking this approach can only become burdensome on you. Make it your goal to go through life with a light heart and spirit.
- Replay the situation in your mind. Can you honestly say you agree with the criticism meted out to you? Perhaps an outsider can easily see something you may have overlooked.
- It sometimes helps to consider alternatives. How differently could a situation have played out had you gone with an alternate approach?
3. Filter the feedback. At this stage, you’ll easily be able to identify the constructive criticism. Put the unfounded criticisms behind you and look forward. Use the constructive criticism to inspire a favourable outcome.
- A reality of life is that you’ll always find detractors. There will always be people who try to keep you back. But do your best to take those people with a grain of salt.
- When you have filtered the unfounded criticism, take a moment to smile. Unfounded criticism means that you have something good enough that others want. You’re special and that’s something to make you proud.
- Take the warranted feedback and use it to improve your life. Give thanks for the genuine care of others. Make a promise to cherish those people at all costs.
Treat criticism just like another type of huddle you have to find a way to cross in life. Like every obstacle, you can either allow it to break you down or use it as a stepping stone to a better you. I know which one I will choose over and over… I will definitely use genuine criticism to build myself up! If you aim to take the high road and approach life with class, you are bound to sail through life with happiness and joy. Remember we all face criticism at one point or the other in our life, embrace it as the dead don’t get the chance to be criticised and then opportune to make things right![Tweet “Do you often get annoyed when criticised? Discover how to accept criticism without getting upset.”]