Healthy Independence In Relationships
We all have very unique definition of ourselves that identifies us as an individual. It is therefore essential that you as a person follow your own path to a fulfilled life. Often times, either consciously or otherwise, most people throw out their individuality in the name of building a relationship. The truth is that maintaining your independence in a healthy way can actually boost your relationship.
If you’ve ever been in love, you’ll surely understand how dependent you can become as you experience the wonderful intimacy you can enjoy in such relationships. Here is a picture of how you could easily lose your individuality to your relationship.
As two individuals build their lives together, the sense of self of the less dominant partner can slip away so gradually, that neither of them notices. The more dominant of the two handles everything financial and all other stuff the other partner shies away from and just goes with the flow of things. This little old-fashioned arrangement often feels cooperative, like teamwork, however, over time, the imbalance of power deepens so much so that it can eventually tear them apart.
There is absolutely nothing wrong in you been your own person in any relationship. You can be an independent you and still maintain a good and healthy relationship. All those hobbies that you enjoy, your wonderful friends and all those personal exploits you keep thinking about are all reminders that you want to keep your own identity.
Establishing and maintaining a healthy independence in your love relationship brings you benefits. Below are some of such benefits – it helps you:
- Maintain your sense of self. When you have solitary pursuits, you’re able to engage with your uniqueness. Bringing out your individual qualities ensures you’re a worthy partner – you’ll be amazed how your uniqueness will compliment that of your partner’s.
- Make the relationship more interesting. When you bring your own personal interests to the table, you have something to share and talk about with your partner. You can teach them about your hobbies and they can share their special interests with you.
- Keep the relationship fresh. Spending time together is nice, but too much togetherness can cause relationship burn-out. You’ll be a better partner if you each have time to pursue individual interests. Too much of the same things can spoil the relationship.
Your relationship will flourish as you grow in your own personal way. Rest assured that you have plenty of valid reasons to want your independence, even as you foster your romantic relationship.
Follow these action steps to build healthy independence in your relationship:
1. Take part in your own activities and interests.
Participate in desired activities at least a few times a month.
- Personal development ensures you’re well-rounded at home and in your career.
2. Socialise with friends.
Spend time with friends to ensure you stay grounded. Staying in touch helps you preserve the essence of the real you. Your friends know who you are and what you’ve been through. Connect with your inner self through your friends.
3. Do a research on topics that fascinate you as an individual.
Let’s say you’ve just watched a movie filmed in Tuscany, Italy. Take it upon yourself to explore Tuscany through online websites, books, and other films. Ignite your mind by learning about a topic you’re passionate about.
4. Share your feelings.
Being an individual means staying in touch with your feelings and sharing them with others. You might even disagree with your partner and that’s okay.
- Acknowledging and sharing your feelings will encourage your partner to do the same.
5. Keep your mind, emotions and sense of self intact.
A healthy relationship requires two healthy individuals. Continue to express your own opinions, respect your partner’s opinion and avoid losing sight of who you are.
By following the above action steps, you’ll start to feel more in touch with who you are as an individual, even if you’re in a close relationship. Your partner will be there to boost your confidence, as well as reinforce the commitment and connection in your relationship. Strive to be the best individual you can be as you establish a healthy independence, whilst enhancing what you have with the love of your life!
Be social guys! Please do share the love – leave your comment and share this post. I love you all!!
[Tweet “Do you often feel like you’ve given up your freedom for your relationship? Discover how maintaining a healthy independence in relationship can boost your love life.”]