“Never forget that anticipation is an important part of life. Work’s important, family’s important, but without excitement, you have nothing. You’re cheating yourself if you refuse to enjoy what’s coming.” ― Nicholas Sparks
Joy of anticipation is basically the anticipatory emotions that we often feel when we ponder over some likely events that are yet to happen. We humans were created with an amazing ability to think our way into diverse circumstances. When we start to think about various situations, we are not restricted by where we are; we can be in one location and somehow we can also psychologically begin to feel or go through experiences that are yet to happen even in a totally different location.
Looking back at your last vacation, I’m sure you’ll agree with me that few days or maybe weeks before you really set-off on that vacation, you actually felt like you were already spending time at wherever you were travelling to merely by thinking your vacation – you felt what it would be like to be there.
According to some studies, when you look forward to a vacation, you will often experience more gratifying emotions than the actual time you spend away on the vacation. The joy of anticipation can enable you to dream about taking a stroll on a tropical beach rather than allowing bickering kids on the aircraft spoil your vacation before you get there.
There is no doubt that the benefits of joy of anticipation come naturally, however, you can also go a step further and train yourself to harness your high hopes.
Below is a simple but effective guide for harnessing the joy of anticipation in order to add more fun to your life.
How to Intensify Anticipation
Because anticipation deepens and spreads the joy of any special occasion or daily treat, you should make an effort to establish or originate new opportunities to experience happiness.
Try these tactics:
- Be precise. By painting crystal-clear mental pictures, you will enhancement your enthusiasm. For example, when you know tour boss is going to announce your promotion, take time and rehearse what you’re going to saying front of your co-workers. Before you go on your vacation, research places of interest to visit as well as good restaurants around.
- Be in-tune with your feelings. The joy of anticipation is often governed by your ability to create existing emotions about future events. Make an effort to always put your feelings into words. Be free enough to do those little things that keep you happy…dance, smile, laugh out and jump up and down.
- Be persevering. Life often happens to us when we least expect and so it can sometimes be tough when you are trying to sustain your motivation as you work on your goals such as eating healthy or starting your own home-based business. Simply by imagining your future will assist you to remain focus and on top as you will get a taste of your success right now.
- Be time conscious. They say “Time waits for no one”, therefore do not waste time. Keep your mind occupied with good thoughts by looking for inspiration in short-term benchmarks. For example, while you’re waiting for your book to be approved for publication, imagine yourself writing a column for your local newspaper.
- Collaborate with others. Sharing your thrills with others is a wonderful and valuable way of leveraging your joy of anticipation. When you collaborate with others by sharing your thrills, you will also be helping other entrepreneurs who are struggling to get their ideas off the ground. Remember there’s always room for everyone to progress….don’t take that dance lessons alone, take a friend with you!
- Enjoy your memories. Either good or bad… recollecting completes the process. While recalling the past may not be as compelling as anticipation, reminiscence tends to give one the “feel good” vibes.
- Revise your to-do list. Unquestionably, you cannot experience the joy of anticipation without an impending event that you can look forward to, therefore you must consistently go over your to-do list in order to practice anticipation effectively. Make sure that as well as having work on your to-do list, you also include loads of fun and entertainments as well!
How to Manage Anticipation
Anticipation is such a powerful force and it is quite important that you handle it with care if you want to experience the joy of anticipation.
Learn to enjoy the thrill that comes with anticipation without giving in to the potential obstacles:
- Dreaming without taking necessary action will get you nowhere. If you want to make your dreams come true, you will need to put in tangible action and imagination. For example, while you’re planning for your dream home, start saving for a down payment else your chances of getting that house will be very slim.
- Live in the present. You cannot afford to ignore your today for the joy of anticipation, for without today the thrill of tomorrow will just be none existent. Enjoy where you are now while keeping an eye on your future. Take great pleasure in the journey to your tomorrow as well as the results.
- Don’t dwell on trivial issues for long. Some things happen on our journey of life that we have no control over, learn to take pleasure in good things. For example, the fact that you now have to commute slightly longer to your new job should not stop you from enjoying the job.
- Have Plan B. By all means take actions that will help you achieve your dreams, at the same time you need to be adaptable and concentrate on keys that can help you to solve problems that may arise. For example, if you run into an unexpected expenses, what are you going to do? If one door closes, there should be another one…
- Pacify your anxiety. In some ways, coping with anxiety is like practicing anticipation in reverse. Nobody can guarantee you a smooth landing at your future, however, when life throws you the unpalatable, be authentic in emphasizing the positive traits rather than dwelling on things that could possibly go wrong.
Having some grey hairs on your head does not mean that every now and then you too cannot behave like a child that’s just been let loose in a candy store. Uncover the joy of anticipation, harness it and have a fun-filled life! Do not cheat yourself by refusing to enjoy what’s coming.[Tweet “Discover how harnessing the joy of anticipation can add so much fun to your life. Also learn how to intensify and manage anticipation.”]